Saturday, January 7, 2012

The flu...or something like it

We don't do flu shots around here. When Bug was a baby she did get her flu shot but last year and this year we just didn't get it done. I just don't see the point in them. I believe that our bodies can fight most routine illness on it's own and we will be healthier in the long run by letting our immune system do it's job. Last year we escaped the flu, we had other medical problems but the flu didn't make an appearance at our house. This year however....I blame it on preschool haha.

I'm not even sure if it was the flu, it's been years since I've had it, and Bug has never had it. Today, however, she was not feeling so good.

When I picked her up from preschool/daycare yesterday she was the only one there! Now normally this isn't surprising to me because I'm always 5 minutes late picking her up. Alyssa is done at 5 sharp...I'm there at 5:05 sharp...I need to work on that, luckily I literally work a 30 second car ride from her house :) Anyway, yesterday I got there early! Surprised even myself! I was talking to Alyssa, while Bug put her shoes and jacket on and got her school project that they worked on that day (the #7, and a letter but I can't remember which one), and noticed there weren't any other kids parents arriving. I was a little confused and even asked Alyssa if I was later than usual as I double checked the clock, that clearly read 4:45 :) She told me that the other 3 kids had thrown up and had been picked up earlier in the day. She said she hoped Lizzie didn't get sick, and with her weak immune system this past year I was hoping the same. We left and went about our evening, Bug was her normal sassy self, no signs of sickness :)

Fast forward several hours......

I woke up around 6:30am to a text from Alyssa saying that she had the stomach flu so she wasn't going to be taking kids today. Normally that would be a real pain, but luckily I had planned to be out of the office today and out inspecting, Bug could just ride along with me, it'd be a fun day. I fell back asleep and woke up about an hour later to the sound of my poor little girl throwing up :( *insert bragging moment* in the toilet! At least she's got that part down. I can recall 2 maybe 3 times in all of her toddlerhood that I've had to clean throw up off the floor. That girl knows how to get to a bathroom, makes me proud! Anyway, I went in and held her hair back, scratched her back and reassured her til she was done, then we went and climbed in my bed to go back to sleep for another 45 minutes or so....15 minutes later she's running for the bathroom again, so we repeat the whole process.

At this point I'm wondering what in the world I'm going to do about work today, my boss is out of town, the office is in my hands, inspections are due this weekend and have to be done, when I get a text from one of the girls that does inspections for us telling me that she is sick but someone will be bringing her work to me. The other girl that does inspections was going to a different area, it was quite the dilemma. I decided me and Bug had no other option but to go to work. So we got up, got dressed and got in the car to enjoy a day of driving around.

Bug did awesome! We stopped and got a Sprite on the way to help calm her tummy, and she napped or colored the majority of the day. Threw up once, in the bowl I gave her, again proud moment. I cut my 8 hour day down to just the bare necessities and we sped through the work and got home early. Spent the rest of the evening watching movies, coloring, doing puzzles and Bug ended the night doing her favorite thing in the world, taking a bath. She was doing much better this evening, no fever, no throwing up, ate 2 bowls of cereal for dinner and had some juice. She's sleeping soundly and here's to hoping for a good day tomorrow!

I really am blessed to have such an amazing daughter, she's a trooper for sure. I know today probably was not the most fun, especially not her with being sick, but she barely complained. Even though I had to work I think that just being with me for the day helped her feel better. We had a good day and I have the weekend off so we're going to be lazy! Maybe I will get around to posting some pictures of our holidays :)

1 comment:

  1. There are s many people getting here getting hit with that exact same 24 hr. stomach flu. Grateful we have esacped it! And so glad Buggy is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete